Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Department of Mechanical Engineering
5000 Forbes Avenue
Scaife Hall 417
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Our group works in the areas of micro- and nanomechanics, with an emphasis on mechanics of materials. Our objectives are to develop ultra-reliable technologies and to explore new device concepts and test methods. We design micro- and nanomechanical structures using computer-aided software packages, and we analyze them with analytical and computer-based methods such as finite element analysis. We fabricate devices using lithography-based clean room methods, and we test them with many techniques including scanning probe, optical and electron microscopies, interferometry, velocimetry, nanoindentation and surface analysis methods such as Auger and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. Testing is done in controlled atmospheres with ambient pressure ranging from atmospheric to ultra-high vacuum. Emphasis is placed on building models developed with insight from experimental results.
If you are interested in joining my group for a PhD degree, please apply directly to the Carnegie Mellon University Mechanical Engineering Department.
B.S.E.E. 1981, Cornell
M.S.E.E. 1982, University of Colorado, Boulder
Ph.D. (Mat. Sci.) 1996, University of Minnesota
- V. Brand, M.E. Saleh, M.P. de Boer, Effects of electrical current and temperature on contamination-induced degradation in ohmic switch contacts, Tribology International, 85 (2015) 48-55.
- S.S. Hazra, J.L. Beuth, G.A. Myers, F.W. Delrio, M.P. de Boer, Design and test of reliable high strength ingressive polycrystalline silicon microgripper arrays, J. Micromech. Microeng., 25 (2015) 015009 (12 pp).
- S. S. Shroff and M. P. de Boer, "Rate-state friction in MEMS interfaces: experiment and theory," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 116, p. 244902, 2014.
- R. M. Pocratsky and M. P. de Boer, "Determination of thin film coefficient of thermal expansion and residual strain from freestanding fixed–fixed beams," Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B, vol. 32, p. 062001, 2014.
- M. E. Saleh, J. L. Beuth, and M. P. Boer, "Validated prediction of the strength size effect in polycrystalline silicon using the three-parameter Weibull function," Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 97, pp. 3982-3990, 2014.
- V. Brand and M. P. de Boer, "Oxygen-induced graphitization of amorphous carbon deposit on ohmic switch contacts improves their electrical conductivity and protects them from wear," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 24, p. 095029 (9 pp), 2014.
- E. Soylemez and M. P. de Boer, "Capillary-Induced Crack Healing Between Surfaces of Nanoscale Roughness," Langmuir, vol. 30, pp. 11625-11633, 2014.
- G. A. Myers, S. S. Hazra, M. P. de Boer, C. A. Michaels, S. J. Stranick, R. P. Koseski, R. F. Cook, and F. W. DelRio, "Stress mapping of micromachined polycrystalline silicon devices via confocal Raman microscopy," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 104, p. 191908, 2014.
- V. Brand, M. S. Baker, and M. P. de Boer, "Impact of contact materials and operating conditions on stability of micromechanical switches," Tribology Letters, vol. 51, pp. 341-356, 2013.
- V. Brand, M. S. Baker, and M. P. de Boer, "Contamination thresholds of Pt- and RuO2-coated ohmic switches," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 22, pp. 1248-1250, 2013.
- E. Soylemez, R. A. Plass, W. R. Ashurst, and M. P. de Boer, "Probing MEMS in an environmentally controlled chamber using long working distance interferometry," Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 84, p. 075006, 2013.
- E. Soylemez, M. P. de Boer, U. Sae-Ueng, A. Evilevitch, T. A. Stewart, and M. Nyman, "Photocatalytic Degradation of Bacteriophages Evidenced by Atomic Force Microscopy," PloS one, vol. 8, p. e53601, 2013.
- V. Brand, M. S. Baker, and M. P. de Boer, "Impact of contact materials and operating conditions on stability of micromechanical switches," Tribology Letters, published online 05 June, 2013.
- M. P. de Boer, D. A. Czaplewski, M. S. Baker, S. L. Wolfley, and J. A. Ohlhausen, "Design, fabrication, performance and reliability of Pt- and RuO2- coated microrelays tested in ultra-high purity gas environments," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 22, p. 105027 (15 pp), 2012.
- E. D. Reedy, Jr., B. L. Boyce, J. W. Foulk, III , R. V. Field, Jr., J. A. Ohlhausen, S. S. Hazra, and M. P. de Boer, "Predicting Fracture in Micron-Scale Polycrystalline Silicon MEMS Structures," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 20, pp. 1043-1053, 2011.
- S. S. Hazra, M. S. Baker, J. L. Beuth, and M. P. d. Boer, "Compact on-chip microtensile tester with prehensile grip mechanism," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 20, pp. 1043-1053, 2011.
- T. A. Stewart, M. D. Nyman, and M. P. de Boer "Delaminated titanate and peroxotitanate photocatalysts," Applied Catalysis B-Environmental, vol. 105, pp. 69-76, 2011.
- G. Subhash, A. D. Corwin, and M. P. de Boer "Evolution of wear characteristics and frictional behavior in MEMS devices," Tribology Letters, vol. 41, pp. 177-189, 2011.
- M. Naraghi, T. Ozkan, I. Chasiotis, S. S. Hazra, and M. P. d. Boer, "MEMS platform for on-chip nanomechanical experiments with strong and highly ductile nanoﬁbers," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 20 p. 125022, 2010.
- D. B. Asay, M. P. de Boer , and S. I. Kim, "Equilibrium vapor adsorption and capillary force: exact Young-Laplace equation solution and circular approximation approaches," Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 24, pp. 2363-2382, 2010.