- Application fee - $75.00 (U.S.)*
- Unofficial transcript (upload into the application system before submitting your application). Official copies of final transcripts are required upon admission
- Official GRE scores from ETS
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores for non-native speakers of English
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded through the online application system)
- Statement of Purpose (Ph.D. applicants only)
*Fee waivers can be granted for CMU students and alumni, GEM applicants, McNair Scholars, etc. Contact us if you believe you qualify for a fee waiver.
Application review process
The review process begins shortly after the application deadline. All applications must be submitted through our online application system by the application deadline. Supplemental materials such as official test scores and letters of recommendations can be received after the application deadline.
Incomplete applications can be reviewed if we have the following items:
- An official online application
- Self-reported test scores (GRE and TOEFL, if English is not applicant’s first language)
- Unofficial transcript(s) (uploaded into the application system)
- CV or Resume
- Statement of Purpose (PhD Applicants Only)
- At least one recommendation
Complete applications, which take precedent in the review process, include the above items plus:
- Official test scores (GRE and TOEFL or IELTS, if English is not applicant’s first language)
- Three letters of recommendation
Questions? Review the Graduate admission FAQ.
Deadlines apply to single degrees within the department. Applicants to dual degree programs should submit their application by the earliest deadline of the two programs.
Fall Term of Entry
Ph.D. programs – December 15
M.S. programs – January 15
Spring Term of Entry
M.S. & Ph.D. programs – September 15
ETS Institution Code: 2074
GRE Department Code: 1502
TOEFL Department Code: 68
IELTS must be mailed from your testing center to this address:
Carnegie Mellon University College of Engineering
5000 Forbes Avenue
119 Porter Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Integrated master's/bachelor's degree program
Current mechanical engineering undergraduates may opt to pursue this program. Visit the Integrated master's/bachelor's degree for additional information.
Non-degree seeking students
Ready to apply?
Apply online to one of our graduate programs now.