Research Professor, Robotics Institute
Courtesy Appointment, Mechanical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
2111 Newell Simon Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Dr. Singh is a Research Professor at the Robotics Institute with a courtesy appointment in Mechanical Engineering. He is the founding editor of the Journal of Field Robotics.
B.S. Computer Science, University of Denver, 1983
M.S. Electrical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1985
M.S. Robotics, Carnegie Mellon University, 1992
Ph.D. Robotics, Carnegie Mellon University, 1995
Prof. Singh’s research relates to the operation of robots in natural and in some cases, extreme environments. His recent work has two main themes: perception in natural and dynamic environments and multi-agent coordination. Currently he leads efforts in collision avoidance for air vehicles (near earth and between aircraft) and ground vehicles using novel sensors that can look through obscurants. Another research area seeks to provide accurate tracking and situational awareness in dynamic environments, such as those encountered in search and rescue, using radio signals to compute location. This research seeks to assist emergency response personnel in their operations. Currently, Prof. Singh leads a four-year, multi-institutional effort to investigate the use of automation in specialty agriculture. This effort is focused on obtaining high-resolution spatio-temporal data about high value crops in order to increase yield and minimize disease and infestations. The second theme is developing a multirobot architecture to perform complex tasks such as assembly that cannot be performed by a single machine. In this architecture, tasks are distributed between robots and human operators such that the strengths of each can be exploited and control can ‘slide’ effectively between humans and robots. Pursuant to this theme, Prof. Singh has developed a number of mobile manipulators to deal with dexterous, perception based manipulation tasks.
- Stephen T. Nuske, Michael Dille, Benjamin P. Grocholsky, and Sanjiv Singh, "Representing Substantial Heading Uncertainty for Accurate Geolocation by Small UAVs," AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, August 2010.
- G. Hollinger, A. Kehagias, and S. Singh, "Improving the efficiency of clearing with multi-agent teams," International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1088-1105, July 2010.
- G. Hollinger, A. Kehagias, and S. Singh, "GSST: Anytime guaranteed search," Autonomous Robots, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 99-118, July 2010.
- Frederik Heger and Sanjiv Singh, "Robust Robotic Assembly through Contingencies, Plan Repair and Re-Planning," Proceedings of ICRA 2010, May 2010.
- Sebastian Scherer, Lyle J. Chamberlain, and Sanjiv Singh, "Online Assessment of Landing Sites," AIAA Infotech@Aerospace 2010, April, 2010.
- Bradley Hamner, Seth C. Koterba, Jane Shi, Reid Simmons, and Sanjiv Singh, "An autonomous mobile manipulator for assembly tasks," Autonomous Robots, Vol. 28, No. 1, January, 2010.
- Michael Dille, Benjamin P. Grocholsky, and Sanjiv Singh, "Outdoor Downward-facing Optical Flow Odometry with Commodity Sensors," Proceedings Field & Service Robotics (FSR '09), July, 2009.
- Geoffrey Hollinger, Sanjiv Singh, Joseph Djugash, and Athanasios Kehagias, "Efficient Multi-Robot Search for a Moving Target," The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 28, No. 2, February 2009.
- Brennan Peter Sellner, Frederik Heger, Laura Hiatt, Nicholas Melchior, Stephen Roderick, David Akin, Reid Simmons, and Sanjiv Singh, "Overcoming Sensor Noise for Low-Tolerance Autonomous Assembly," Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS-2008), September, 2008, pp. 4017-4023.
- Joseph Djugash and Sanjiv Singh, "A Robust Method of Localization and Mapping Using Only Range," International Symposium on Experimental Robotics, July 2008.
- Bradley Hamner, Sanjiv Singh, Stephan Roth, and Takeshi Takahashi, "An efficient system for combined route traversal and collision avoidance," Autonomous Robots, Vol. 24, No. 4, May 2008.
- Sebastian Scherer, Sanjiv Singh, Lyle J. Chamberlain, and Mike Elgersma, "Flying Fast and Low Among Obstacles: Methodology and Experiments," The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 27, No. 5, May 2008.
- Bradley Hamner, Sanjiv Singh, and Sebastian Scherer, "Learning Obstacle Avoidance Parameters from Operator Behavior," Special Issue on Machine Learning Based Robotics in Unstructured Environments, Journal of Field Robotics, Vol. 23, No. 11/12, December 2006
- Dennis Strelow and Sanjiv Singh, "Long-term motion estimation from images," In Proceedings, International Symposium on Experimental Robotics, July, 2006.
- Frederik Heger and Sanjiv Singh, "Sliding Autonomy for Complex Coordinated Multi-Robot Tasks: Analysis & Experiments," In Proceedings, Robotics: Systems and Science, August 2006.
- Brennan Peter Sellner, Frederik Heger, Laura Hiatt, Reid Simmons, and Sanjiv Singh, "Coordinated Multi-Agent Teams and Sliding Autonomy for Large-Scale Assembly," Proceedings of the IEEE - Special Issue on Multi-Robot Systems, Vol. 94, No. 7, July 2006.